Online Speech Therapists Address Shortage of Bilingual SLPs
“…my Spanish speaking students- they seem to just come alive when they see our games and hear someone (me) who understands their language and can interact with them….”
~Sylvia, TinyEYE SLP
There is a problem. There is a solution.
Special educator directors have shared that they face a critical shortage of bilingual SLPs. This is happening while the population of children who require services, in a language other than English, is increasing.
When children who are learning English demonstrate communication challenges their primary language, they benefit from receiving services in their primary language by a qualified professional who is also proficient in that language.
The following list shares feedback from schools in regards to matching professionals with students:
- It is difficult to recruit SLPs in general, let alone a bilingual SLP.
- The students who need help in this language are scattered around the district. The SLP would be driving all day to reach the various buildings. It would not be cost effective.
- We need help in more than one language…I can’t possibly hire SLPs who speak all these languages.
- We do not have the budget to hire another full time SLP, but our current SLPs are not bilingual. We are struggling to help these students.
- We were considering hiring a bilingual CFY therapist; but our mono-lingual SLPs were concerned about how they would supervise.
Ultimately, students and their families struggle without support in their most comfortable language.
Online therapy is a quality solution for schools for bringing essential services to their students. TinyEYE’s experienced SLPs bring exceptional service to children so they can fully engage in their lives.
- Our bilingual SLPs do not drive to reach your students. Instead, our time is completely student focused as we meet face to face with the students online.
- You may need us for one student or one hundred students spread across the region – we are there at the click of the connect button.
- Your children receive assessments and engaging therapy adventures that are relevant to their language.
- Our bilingual SLPs can support supervision requirements so that you can grow your in-house capacity to serve your students’ needs.
TinyEYE’s team will be arriving in Texas this month. Visit us at the TCASE Great Ideas Conference or contact me to plan for a visit: marneeATtinyeye.com or 1-877-846-9393!
Link to TCASE: https://m360.tcase.org/event.aspx?eventID=34278
Learning Two Languages: http://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/nino.htm
Definition of Bilingual SLP: http://www.asha.org/docs/html/RP1989-00205.html
Monolingual Supervision of Bilingual Student Clinicians: http://asha.org/Publications/leader/2011/110426/Monolingual-Supervision-of-Bilingual-Student-Clinicians--Challenges-and-Opportunities.htm
Marnee Brick, MSc
Speech-Language Pathologist and Director of Speech Therapy
TinyEYE Therapy Services (Speech Therapy Telepractice)
Growing smiles, mending spirits, engaging children in their lives…
TinyEYE is the world’s preferred online speech therapy service provider for schools, agencies, and individuals who seek exceptional performance, revolutionary solutions, outstanding service, and student success!